Sunday, November 27, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract

My bottle of store bought Watkins Vanilla extract contains water, alcohol (35%), vanilla extract and glucose.  One ounce costs something like $4.99.  I use a lot of vanilla, especially at this time of the year and having seen an idea to make my own vanilla I jumped at the chance.  It's amazingly easy and I found many variations on blogs everywhere.  The supplies you need can be purchased online and at the liquor store:
The ratio of beans to vodka I settled on was 3 beans to 1 cup of vodka.  My bottles are 16 ounces so I used 6 beans for each bottle.  Sterilize your bottles in boiling water and wash the caps well (don't boil if they are plastic).  On a cutting board cut off the tip of each bean and split it down the center.  Add the beans to the bottles and cover with vodka. 


Tighten the lid on the bottle and store in a cool, dry place for 3-6 months.  Shake the bottle occasionally. 

Here's a comparison picture of the day I made the vanilla and 7 days later - it darkens quickly and smells wonderful!


I'll probably add a label (with a "don't use until" date) and ribbon and make them prettier though they do look pretty wonderful now!  I've already given one away so I'm glad I have extra bottles and beans. 

Specialty bottle sells various sizes of bottles - the smaller size bottles would make wonderful stocking presents or Yankee swap gifts.  Enjoy as vanilla extract or vanilla cocktail - you decide!

No comments:

Post a Comment